Fave Five Friday: Fave Five Book to Movies/TV Series Adaptations



Fave Five Friday is a bloghop hosted by BUZZ Magazine.

I recently started working on adapting short stories into screenplays and I know firsthand that it is no child's play. We can always sigh and say that book is hundred times better than the movies (or tv series). However, sometimes, we need to see the hard work that goes into coming up with these adaptations. Here are my Fave Five Picks for Book to Movies Adaptations. (I think I'll make a separate post for TV series someday.)

1. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell




Margaret Mitchell's only novel, Gone With The Wind, had caused quite a stir when it was released. The movie was made almost a decade later and starred Clark Gable as Rhett Butler and Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara. The movie has till date remained one of the timeless classics and let us hope that no one tries to remake this.



You can watch the trailer for the movie here:


               

2. The Chronicles of Narnia Series by C.W. Lewis 






It took a very long time for The Chronicles of Narnia to be turned into a movie series. I loved watching the adventures of the Pevensive children unfold on the big screen. In my opinion, this was one of the best made adaptations.


3. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

 
I remember watching the movie adaptation of this on YouTube a few years ago. During the time when I couldn't sleep at night. (Which my doctor tells me has finally started showing signs of taking a toll on my health.) I had enjoyed the movie immensely and imagine my delight when I figured out that this was based on a book! It was one of those rare instances where I had seen the movie first. I loved the easy friendship between Julie and Bryce, and I loved, love how their story unfolds. The only difference between the book and the movie is that the movie is set in a far earlier time period than the book. But both are delights in their own way. Do check out the trailer:





4. The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns by John Green




John Green's novel, The Fault in Our Stars, the story of two star-crossed lovers, Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster took the world by storm. Less than a year later, the movie was released and the world laughed and cried all over again over the bittersweet love story. Ansel Elgort brought Gus to life and especially mention ought to be made for Nat Wolff for bringing out the character of Issac.






We got to see him in a more fleshed out role in Paper Towns, as the protagonist, Q, who researches through heaven and high water for Margo, that released a year after TFIOS. And would you believe the book had been released back in 2008? Both these movies tie in the 4th spot on my list because the source is one I've fallen head over heels in love with: John Green. If you haven't seen these movies yet (or read the books) pick them up and enjoy your party of one this Friday!




5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn




I remember sleeping through the time I was supposed to meet a friend of mine to catch the show for this movie adapted from the book. I apologized because I had overslept (health problems, hello!) And then treated her to a later show for the same.

Gone Girl is easily one of the best adaptations that I had seen in recent times. I had read the book and loved it. I couldn't wait to see what would happen in the movie. They had added quite a few layers in the movie. Nevertheless it was an amazing treat. If you haven't watched the movie yet (or read the book), you should definitely add it to your list. Especially if you like reading dark fiction.




Comments

  1. I'm so happy to see all the TFiOS love on this week's topic! That was one emotional roller coaster, and such a lovely movie. Great list!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post early morning.. watched the trailer of Flipped.. now i have completed watching Flipped... Wow... Thanks a lot for such a nice recommendation... Loved it!!!!

    I wanted to climb that Sycamore tree, crush on Bryce, bid on the basket boys, be in 1963, .... Loved it. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only TFIOS in common, mainly because I've not read Narnia yet. :-) Will look to add the other books/movies to my read/watched list soon. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flipped was amazing. I did not know it was based on book. Great list.

    Mine @ a-lotofpages.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment